The Forest was released on May 30, 2014 by Endnight Games who also developed it. The Forest is a survival horror game.
To survive, you’ll need to build a shelter, explore the forest to seek out vital resources and defend yourself from any mutants you come across.
There has a better than average crafting system to help you survive in the wilderness. Players can even play the game through a stealthier approach, opting to avoid any enemies rather than engaging them head-on.
The game world is set on an island. This is common and the island is sufficiently large to provide a wide range of habitats from a beach to forested areas.
Weapons like an axe are usually more brutal melee weapons but this game does not have the blood and guts of some other titles.
Without the cannibals, the game would make a nice camping simulator.
The game does have some explosives that can break rocks but the game world is not destructible like some major shooters use.
- Chop down trees to build a camp, or start a fire to keep warm. Scavenge food to keep yourself from starving.
- Build a small shelter or a large ocean side fortress. Lay traps and defences to keep a safe perimeter.
- Explore and build during the day. Defend your base at night. Craft weapons and tools. Bunker down during the evening or bring the fight directly to the enemy.
- Defend yourself against a clan of genetic mutant enemies that have beliefs, families, morals and that appear almost human.
- Use stealth to evade enemies, or engage them directly with crude weapons built from sticks and stones.
The developer has updated this game many times since it was released. The game has been well received.
|Operating System||Windows 7 or better|
|CPU||Intel® Core 2 Duo or better|
AMD Athlon II X2 or better
|Memory||4 GB or more|
|Hard Drive Space||5 GB|
|Graphics Hardware||NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 460 or better|
AMD Radeon™ HD 5770 or better
|Network||Broadband Internet Connection Required|
While 32-bit, this game will run much better on a 64-bit system with more memory.