The Arris Touchstone TG3482 is a DOCSIS 3.1 access point. The MSRP is $399.
- Speed: much faster than dialup or ISDN service; up to twenty four times faster than DOCSIS 2.0 cable modems.
- Convenience: supports Ethernet and 802.11a/b/g/n/ac wireless connections; both can be used simultaneously
- Flexibility: provides two independent lines of telephone service as well as high speed data
- Wireless wave 1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac connectivity
- Four Ethernet ports for connections to non-wireless devices
- Up to two lines of telephone service
- Integrated MoCA 2.0 home networking DOCSIS 3.1 compliant
- One USB host port (future support for external USB devices
Mobile phones makes the integrated telephone service rather obsolete.
The lack of status LEDs it is not easy to determine of there is a problem with the unit or the services. The fan also requires the unit be installed upright to allow the cooling to be as efficient as possible.
The Arris Touchstone TG3482 was slow to be adopted as the infrastructure needed for DOCSIS 3.x needs extensive additional fiber in additional to new service junctions etc. The goal of the DOCSIS is to achieve 10Gb full duplex with the version 4 of the standard which is not expected to be complete unto 2018 or into 2019.