The Synology DS420J is a 4 bay NAS unit for home and small business use.
- Usage High read/write performance with RAID
- Realtek RTD1296 4-core 1.4 GHz Processor
- 1 x 10/100/1000M
- Over 112 MB/s encrypted sequential reading and writing throughput
- Easy-to-deploy surveillance solution that supports up to 16 IP cameras
- Energy-saving design with only 7.88 W consumed in hibernation mode
- 2 x USB3.0
- 7.24″ x 6.61″ x 9.06″
- 4.87 lbs.
The DS420J is a n-1 redundant storage system. This is similar to RAID5 from the old server era. This means the NAS can tolerate one disk failure. It is advisable to have one spare disk to replace a failed disk. Resilvering can be slow with consumer disks but server class disks are faster.
The unit is easily setup with a browser based interface. The DS420J can be setup with 3 disks initially and an additional disk can be added subsequently.