Sony has now unveiled the new PS5. Sony will have 2 main versions of the PS5.
- Playstation 5
- Playstation 5 Digital
The PS5 was unveiled at the end of a video stream where Sony and their partners mostly spoke of new games for the console. The new console was featured at the end of the presentation.
Sony also said that they have several accessories for the new PS5 including a wireless headset with 3D audio support, an HD camera so gamers can broadcast themselves while playing games, a special media remote for navigating through the PS5 menu and a DualSense charging station to power up controllers.
Given the collection of BD movies alone, the PS3, PS4 and PS5 will keep existing customers happy. Xbox One adopted the BDXL format with 128GB capacity which is the same format that PC BD drives use. Game disks are abundant so physical BD drives are perfunctory.
Sony mentioned that their SSD uses a custom controller with a 12-channel interface to the NAND flash memory. Sony is using a conventional M.2 SSD and they are allowing users to retrofit the existing SSD if desired.
The games Sony mentioned that will be available for the PS5 include:
- Astro’s Playroom (Japan Studio)
- Demon’s Souls (Bluepoint Games / Japan Studio)
- Destruction All Stars (Lucid Games / XDEV)
- Gran Turismo 7 (Polyphony Digital)
- Horizon Forbidden West (Guerrilla Games)
- Marvel’s Spider-Man Miles Morales (Insomniac Games)
- Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart (Insomniac Games)
- Returnal (Housemarque / XDEV)
- Sackboy A Big Adventure (Sumo Digital / XDEV)
- Bugsnax (Young Horses)
- DEATHLOOP (Bethesda)
- Ghostwire™: Tokyo (Bethesda)
- Godfall™ (Gearbox Publishing / Counterplay Games)
- Goodbye Volcano High (KO-OP)
- Grand Theft Auto V and Grand Theft Auto Online (Rockstar Games)
- HITMAN 3 (IO Interactive)
- JETT : The Far Shore® (Superbrothers)
- Kena: Bridge of the Spirits (Ember Lab)
- Little Devil Inside (Neostream Interactive)
- NBA 2K21 (2K, Visual Concepts)
- Oddworld Soulstorm™ (Oddworld Inhabitants™)
- Pragmata (Capcom)
- Project Athia* (Square Enix/Luminous Productions)
- Resident Evil™ Village (Capcom)
- Solar Ash (Annapurna Interactive / Heart Machine)
- Stray (Annapurna / Blue Twelve Studio)
- Tribes of Midgard (Gearbox Publishing / Norsfell)
- The Pathless (Annapurna Interactive / Giant Squid)
The PS5 will compete against the Xbox Series X this fall and both will have vast arrays of games and graphics posted all over Youtube etc closer to launch day.
If the market landscape remains like it is now, Japan is heavily backing Sony while the Xbox leads the North American market while the UE is more evenly split.
The GC at the start of the video most likely was make with a early version of the console and some excellent procedural graphics.
12 months after the PS5 is finally released there will be hundreds of games available. Smaller studios need more time to remaster games than larger ones.