Kioxia has introduced their new BG5 M.2 NVMe M.2 2230 SSD lineup.
The KIOXIA BG5 Series is available in capacities of 256, 512 and 1024 gigabytes (GB).
As a virtual multi-LUN (VML)-enabled client SSD, the KIOXIA BG5 Series unlocks back-end flash performance while maintaining affordability, making it an especially attractive option for a wide range of commercial and consumer notebooks and desktops. KIOXIA BG5 SSDs also support the latest Host Memory Buffer (HMB) technology to realize a finely optimized DRAM-less SSD. The KIOXIA BG5 ships in a compact M.2 2230 single-sided, thermally optimized form factor enabling mobility and work-from-home lifestyles. M.2 2280 single-sided form factor versions are also available.
- Up to 3,500 MB/s sequential read and 2,900 MB/s sequential write
- Up to 500,000 IOPS random read and 450,000 IOPS random write
- Support for the latest TCG Pyrite and Opal standards, as well as End-to-End Data Protection ensures data is secure whether at home or in the office.
- Forward-looking support for the NVMe 1.4 feature set and basic management command over System Management Bus (SMBus)
- Power Loss Notification signal support to protect data against forced shut downs
The M.2 2230 is a smaller format SSD which is seen in the PS5. It can also be used in some laptops. At present Kioxia is making samples available with OEM manufacturers and it’s not known of they will be available more widely.